26 Apr April 15, 2019 World Cafe Notes – Alternative Economics
– How can we loosen the hold of capitalism on our lives?”
– Some transition towns in the UK and even in the US have adopted local currencies. Do you think that’s feasible in Asheville, especially with our tourism-centered economy?
– What are the challenges, and how can we overcome those barriers?
– donate hours for community projects, e.g., AMS peace garden
– tax the rich!
– pass universal health care
– guaranteed universal minimum income?
– talk to “Fox News”-ers or Republicans
– time banks provide gender & economic equality
– expand the local food system to produce more jobs
– have tailgate markets form a grocery store
– create a county “organic” label
Moving into food resilience ideas:
– food “waste” recycling, e.g., leftover food at schools sent home to families
– cooperate with Ingles to create jobs and use “old” food
– municipal composting
Where to get involved:
– French Broad Food Co-Op (and other worker-owned businesses)
– Asheville Time Bank
– Mutual Aid movement
– consider local currency (Biltmore Bucks is a step in that direction)
– Make tourist services pay better to workers
– Community Roots