-What can individuals and organizations do to prepare for and adapt to climate change impacts in WNC?
-How do you respond to someone who says that the fight to prevent climate change is a losing battle?
– If you also feel it’s a lost cause, how do we minimize the adverse impacts of the “inevitable” climate change?
– change the systems humans live under (political/economic) and think of this more than climate change
– hope seen in education that deals with climate and sustainability in high school, colleges, and universities
– movie: “The Last Straw”
– the book “Active Hope” with its “hope spiral”: 1. express gratitude 2. admit despair and mourn what’s happening to life on Earth; 3. realize you have overcome obstacles in the past; 4. marshal resources in yourself and others so that you then have power to act with hope
– there is hope in our “unburdened” (with the past) young people
– be supportive of the young people who are acting
Where to get involved:
– Sierra Club
– Sunrise group
– educational efforts in many places locally
– The Collider
– Creation Care Alliance
– City & County efforts to adapt to climate changes
– Community Roots